Friday, August 24, 2012

Some days I just want to whine...

Bear in mind that I'm writing this post after a night of much interrupted sleep. Baby Graber was quite active all during the day yesterday, and I went to bed knowing that there was a good chance he'd be just as busy overnight. I was right. At right around four pounds, he's strong enough to wake me even from the deepest sleep with a few well placed punches and kicks. I've been feeling rather crowded on the right side for a few weeks now and the doctor said on Wednesday the likely cause is the baby pushing my liver into my ribs. I'm pretty sure he likes to park one of his little feet right there and stretch that leg at the most inconvenient times! So there you have whine number one. I'm tired. I'm so tired of tired.

Whine number two: I'm tired of wearing the same clothes day after day. My wardrobe included non-maternity items that were fuller through the middle up until this week. That gave me a broader choice of clothing items. If I want to be able to wear any of these items ever again (without wearing them stretched completely out of shape), it's time to take them out of my rotation. This leaves me with (at best) one top per day of the week for the remainder of the pregnancy. Once Baby Graber arrives, I will gladly box up these items immediately after returning home. There are only so many times I can wear the same shirt before it relegates itself to the "dislike" side of the closet. Given that I have a limited number of weeks left in the pregnancy, however, I cannot justify adding any new items to my wardrobe so same old shirt day after day it is. (I've also discovered that some shirts do not make it through an entire day any more. Yesterday's shirt was apparently worn for many hours without me realizing that lunch had splattered on the lower portion of my belly. I couldn't see it. If you see me wearing a soiled shirt in the next few weeks and it looks like the location of the stain might be where I can't see it, feel free to let me know. I would prefer the momentary embarrassment of being told my clothes are dirty to the realization at bedtime that I've been out and about in dirty clothes for hours!)

Whine number three: My fingers have started to swell a little. When my body temperature is up (summer time, while exercising, etc.), my fingers tend to look (and feel) like sausages even when I'm not pregnant. Pregnancy means growing your own little internal furnace. Your body temperature is always up. While it's not a new feeling to have swollen fingers, it is the first time I've been afraid that at some point I may not be able to remove my wedding and engagement rings. Wednesday night I took them off for bed hoping that by morning I would be able to wear them comfortably again, but that was not the case. I think they are off for the foreseeable future. It seems wise to make the decision while I still can rather than face the daunting and possibly painful task of removing them later. As a long time ring lover, I have quite a stash of rings that do fit and I was able to find a plain silver band to wear so that my left ring finger doesn't feel quite so naked, but I am rather attached to those rings and this decision felt like a particularly sad one. I realize they are only a symbol, but my engagement ring has rarely come off in the three and a half years I've had it and my wedding band has come off even less frequently in the three years since our wedding.

As the count of weeks pregnant is now officially at 52 (21 weeks pregnant, almost 13 not pregnant, and 31 weeks pregnant), there are many other things I could whine about, but for today, these three are the big ones. I think it all boils down to the fact that I'm becoming increasingly impatient to officially meet this little boy I've been sharing my body with for the past seven (nearly eight) months. If we make it to my due date, I will probably sit in the exam room at the doctor's office crying until they agree to induce. October 25 is a long way away. Thirty-seven weeks (full term) is October 4. I'm pretty sure I'll be ready to get the show on the road anytime starting October 4. I may even be looking for tips on starting labor, so if you've got any stashed away, hang on to them for a few weeks. I may be asking for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment